How to export tasks from Things
Follow this step by step guides to export all your to-do from Things and import them on Listy.
Exporting your data from Things 3 involves several methods, depending on your device and technical familiarity:
Export Things 3 database
- For Mac: Access the SQLite database file containing all information about your to-dos. The file is located at ~/Library/Group Containers/JLMPQHK86H.com.culturedcode.ThingsMac/. Copy the Things Database.thingsdatabase bundle to your desired location. Use CTRL + click and select ‘Show Package Contents’ to access the main.sqlite file.
- For iPad & iPhone:
- Open Things 3, go to Settings
- Navigate to General → Diagnostics → Enter Code
- Enter code 491348 and tap ‘Send Things Database’.
- Save the resulting Things Database.aar file to iCloud Drive or AirDrop it to a Mac. On iOS 13 or older, the file is named Things.sqlite3.
Printing to PDF (Mac Only):
- Open Things 3, click File → Print, set Scope to ‘Entire List’ and Notes to ‘Full’, then print.
- Save the printout as a PDF file.
This method is best for those seeking a non-technical solution and only requires printing each list separately to ensure complete data coverage.
Using Apple Shortcuts:
If you’re familiar with Apple Shortcuts, you can use actions to export data from Things. However, you’ll need to write your own shortcut as Things does not provide one.
Accessing Data through AppleScript (Mac Only):
For users comfortable with AppleScript, you can write a script to access your Things 3 data on a Mac. Each method caters to different user preferences and technical abilities, ensuring you can export your data in a way that suits your needs.
Import on Listy
We are working on completing this step.
Subscribe to our newsletter and we will let you know when is ready.